How to get a java plugin manually installed in Firefox, using ubuntu?
Dr Andrew John Hughes
2011-07-21 13:25:50 UTC
Hi, using Uubuntu 11.04
I don't like Firefox 4 and 5 so I uninstalled it and installed FF 3.6.19
manually in the /opt directory. It works really well. I wanted to add a
java icedtea plugin to FF. But I can't use Synaptics (the package
installer). Synaptics does not see the FF 3.6.19 - it does not know it's
there (because I manually installed FF 3.6.19) and will try an install
FF5 if I use it (synaptic) to install the icetea plugin - makes sense it
would do that - it thinks no FF is installed
How do I get a java plugin installed considering how FF is implemented
on my system?
I have tried getting a .so icetea plugin and using a link from the .so
file to where I think it should be in the FF directory, but no luck.
[Ccing distro-pkg-dev where work on IcedTea-Web is discussed]

You'll need to build your own version of IcedTea-Web:

http://dbhole.wordpress.com/2011/07/20/icedtea-web-1-0-4-and-1-1-1-security-releases-released/

against the Firefox installed in /opt which uses xulrunner 1.9. The version
with 4 & 5 will use xulrunner 2 and so presumably won't work with FF 3.6.x.

I imagine you'll need to set PKG_CONFIG_PATH to the location of the *.pc files in your
/opt installed Mozilla so IcedTea-Web's build picks it up.
Thanks,
Lee G.
Andrew :)

Free Java Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc. (http://www.redhat.com)

Support Free Java!
Contribute to GNU Classpath and IcedTea
http://www.gnu.org/software/classpath
http://icedtea.classpath.org
PGP Key: F5862A37 (https://keys.indymedia.org/)
Fingerprint = EA30 D855 D50F 90CD F54D 0698 0713 C3ED F586 2A37
Lee Gold